Home Page
Museum Buildings
Grange Building
Union Meetinghouse
Benjamin Rowe House
Tours, Meetings, Programs
In Quest of History
Gilford Steamer Articles
Gift Shop
TAHS Involvement
About Us

Below is some brief background information related to the
Belknap Grange / John J. Morrill Store. . For a closer view of the theme
display areas inside the museum building, click on the tabs above.

This Greek Revival structure is on the National Register of Historic Places as the John J. Morrill Dry Good Store of 1857.

Unable to compete with Gilford's 1840 Village Store located across the road, in 1909 this building became the permanent home of Gilford's Mount Belknap Grange No. 52, organized in 1875, two years after foundation of the New Hampshire Grange and eight years after the National Grange's 1867 formation.

The Grange, an influential farmer's organization, was a key feature in Gilford Village life for much of the 20th Century. Agricultural programs
and ceremonial meetings took place
in the upstairs hall and large socials were held downstairs.

By 1900, with few farms left in Gilford, the remaining 12+ members of the Mount Belknap Grange decided to turn in their charter and give their vintage building to the Thompson-Ames Historical Society to use as a museum building.